I borrowed a book about Southeast Asian cuisine from the library. It’s fun to read about the people and food of different regions. My husband and I hope to take a trip to the area next year. I’ve always dreamed of exotic vacations, so hopefully this one will work out. In the meantime, I do what I always do…bring food into my own kitchen. It’s a bit like traveling the world without leaving home. I admit I was a little intimidated by this recipe. Look at the ingredients. That’s a lot of fish sauce! Trust me though, because the end result is downright delicious. Garlic complements beautiful Southeast Asian flavours. Then there’s the dipping sauce… oh baby. I want to soak my chicken in it. Nice to put a twist on the standard chicken nuggets. I can wow my taste buds and still give my kids something familiar looking that they will eat. enjoy!
Thai Chicken Nuggets
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp cilantro stalks
3 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place chicken breast pieces in a medium mixing bowl. on hold.
2. Place the garlic cloves, black pepper, and coriander stems in a food processor. purée. Slowly add the fish sauce until you get a nice sauce. Season with salt and pour over the chicken. Marinate for 1 hour.
3. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken.
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1. In a small saucepan, bring rice vinegar to a boil. Add sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and stir in the crushed garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.