Strawberry Cream Cheese Star Bread is a delicious and creative twist on a traditional star bread recipe. It combines the flavors of sweet strawberries and tangy cream cheese to create a unique and delicious bread that’s perfect for breakfast, dessert or even a snack. The dough is shaped into the iconic star shape and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and strawberry jam before baking.
Star Bread—also known as Snowflake Bread—seems rather delicate, and might even be difficult to put together, but it so Easy to make! Add it to menus as a delicious addition to brunch, or as a dessert after a delicious meal. No matter when or where you decide to serve it, it’s always a fan favorite!
There are many different directions you can use to make the dough for this star bread recipe. We almost always use homemade cinnamon roll dough, but you can also use:
- store bought dough (you’ll need about 2 lbs)
- Crescent Sheets (2 to 4 packs)
- puff pastry dough (2 lbs)
- Pie Crust Dough (4 Pie Crust Rounds)
Other Top Ideas
This recipe uses a simple cream cheese glaze drizzled on top, which pairs well with the cream cheese and strawberry jam filling, but you can also try other topping options, including:
- Powdered sugar: Dust with powdered sugar on star buns for a sweet and elegant touch.
- Honey: Drizzle honey over the star buns for a sweet and gooey texture.
- Simple Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon water or milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract. Add more water or milk as needed to create a thin consistency that can be easily drizzled over the dough.
One way to make this snowflake bread recipe ahead of time is to prepare and then freeze. You can freeze the dough before baking or after:
- To freeze the dough: Follow the dough recipe directions on the recipe card below. “Punch” the dough after it has risen to remove excess air. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months! When ready to bake, let the dough thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then follow the directed shaping and baking instructions.
- To Freeze Already Baked Star Bread: Let the bread cool completely, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in a 350°F oven until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
You can store any leftover star bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator if you want it to last a little longer, so it will keep for a week. If you want to reheat it, you can heat it in the microwave in 30-second increments until heated through.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Star Bread is a delicious and creative twist on a traditional star bread recipe. It combines the flavors of sweet strawberries and tangy cream cheese to create a unique and delicious bread that’s perfect for breakfast, dessert or snack.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon White sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon salted butter softened
- 1 big egg
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 ounce cream cheese soften
- 1/2 cup Strawberry jam
- 4 ounce cream cheese soften
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and eggs. Add the flour. Use the dough hook and turn on low speed.
Once the flour starts to incorporate into the dough, increase the speed to medium. Add more flour as needed to pull the dough away from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be soft and sticky, but not stick to your hands. Add more or less flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency. The amount of flour you add when making bread is always an approximation and should be determined by feel.
Transfer dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Shaping and Baking Instructions
Take the dough and divide it into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece into a large circle, about the width of the baking sheet.
Place one circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese over dough, then top with strawberry jam, leaving 1/4 inch around edge of circle.
Continue layering the remaining sections, but lay the 4th and final section flat on top.
Use a small 2″ bowl to mark the center (or eyeball), then use a knife to cut 16 equal lines, leaving the small circle in the center.
Take two strands and twist in opposite directions 2-3 times, then pinch the edges to seal. Continue to fit the pieces together until all the pieces fit together to form a large star shape.
Bake immediately in a 350°F oven (do not rise) for 20-25 minutes. Once cool, drizzle with cream cheese glaze and serve plain, with your favorite frosting, or dusted with powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Glaze
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until completely combined and free of lumps.
Gradually add milk or water, stirring until glaze is smooth and has a pourable consistency. You may need to add more or less milk, depending on desired consistency. Add vanilla extract, if using, for extra flavor.
Use the glaze immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Please visit website for other flavor variations, including fillings and toppings.
Serve: 1piece | Calories: 388kcal | carbohydrate: 57G | protein: 8G | fat: 14G | Saturated fat: 8G | Polyunsaturated fats: 1G | Monounsaturated fats: 4G | Trans fat: 0.2G | cholesterol: 57mg | sodium: 392mg | Potassium: 146mg | fiber: 1G | sugar: twenty oneG | Vitamin A: 525unit | Vitamin C: 2mg | calcium: 72mg | iron: 2mg